Samir S. Awad, MD, MPH, FACS
Professor and Vice-Chair for Surgical Quality and Safety
Dr. Awad is Professor of Surgery & Vice Chair of Surgical Quality and Safety at Baylor College of Medicine and Chief of Surgery & Operative Care Line Executive at the MEDVAMC. Dr. Awad’s areas of specialty include open and minimally invasive surgical procedures with over 20 years of experience in ventral and inguinal hernia repair and complex abdominal wall reconstruction. He has published extensively on the use of synthetic and biological mesh in hernia repair and AWR. He is a member of the Association for Academic Surgeons, the Society of University Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons, the Surgical Infection Society, and the Society for Critical Care Medicine.
- Trauma and Acute Care Surgery
- Complex hernia repair
- Severe sepsis
- Multisystem organ dysfunction
- Minimally invasive surgery
Education, Training, and Research
- Medical School, Thomas Jefferson University
- Residency and Fellowship – University of Michigan
- Undergrad – University of Pennsylvania
- Chlorhexidine–Alcohol versus Povidone–Iodine for Surgical-Site Antisepsis
Dr. Samir S. Awad is a paid consultant for TELA Bio.